The UK’s private security industry is a high-technology sector experiencing rapid growth. It is estimated that the industry has grown five times faster than the rest of the nation’s economy since 2010. High industry standards are necessary to ensure that private security companies can continue protecting the public effectively. To regulate security industry contractors the Home Office launched the Security Industry Authority (SIA), the government regulatory body responsible for monitoring and regulating private security in the UK. This non-departmental public body has set up the Approved Contractor Scheme (ACS) to raise performance standards.
What Is SIA Approved Contractor Scheme?
The Security Industry Authority‘s Approved Contractor Scheme (SIA ACS) is a quality assurance program for the private security sector. The SIA created this program to elevate standards within the industry and assist the private security sector in developing new opportunities. The SIA ACS is a voluntary scheme, so whilst security companies don’t have to obtain this accreditation it is in their best interest to do so as the scheme provides assurance to security Clients that the company meets all security industry standards.
What Are The Benefits Of Obtaining ACS Status?
- SIA ACS accreditation is a badge of quality that shows prospective clients that you are a legitimate and respectable business. As such, people will have more trust in your security company.
- Inclusion in the Register of Approved Contractors.
- Authority to display your ACS accreditation on your stationery, websites, among others.
- Subcontract jobs from larger firms.
- SIA approved wall plaques, lapel badges, and contractor certificates
What Does the ACS scheme cover:
The scheme covers the security activities that the SIA license. They are:
- Manned Guarding, which includes
- Security Guarding
- Door Supervision (In-house and contractors)
- Close Protection
- Public Space Surveillance (CCTV)
- Cash and Valuables in Transit
- Vehicle Immobilisers (In-house and contractors)
How To Get SIA Approved Contractor Status
An independent assessor will determine whether your security company meets the SIA’s requirements for Approved Contractor Status. You will need to demonstrate to this assessor that your company meets defined standards in these nine categories:
- Strategy: Your security company must have a clear strategic direction that enables it to offer value to all stakeholders to obtain the SIA Approve Contractor Scheme Status.
- Processes: Your security company needs robust processes to guarantee a consistent quality of service delivery to clients and stakeholders.
- Commercial Relationship Management: Your company must promote robust and transparent relationships with its consumers, suppliers, and customers, founded on mutual respect and trust.
- Financial Management: Your company must be financially viable with enough resources to meet its present and future obligations
- Resources: Equipment, procedures, and adequate premises are necessary to sustain your company within the relevant industry sectors.
- People: Your security agency must have developed and implemented plans to ensure that employees are suitably trained and catered for.
- Leadership: Companies seeking SIA ACS must have leaders capable of developing and implementing a practical management approach that constantly improves the organization and its performance.
- Corporate Social Responsibility: Your company should actively manage the effect of its services on the local community.
- Results: You must be able to measure, understand, and improve your achievements in relation to all stakeholders.
How To Become An Approved Contractor
There are two routes to obtaining SIA ACS accreditation status. These are the standard route and the Passport route. These routes are equivalent and ensure that the standards required of all Approved Contractors are consistent.
Any security company can use the Standard Route, and no previous certification is required. Using the Standard Route starts with the Self Assessment Workbook.
The Passport Route involves getting certified through any accredited passport scheme. You will fill an SIA ACS application form, pay the application fee upon submission, and pay the registration fee if your company is approved.
How Can JVR Consultancy Help You?
We can assist you throughout the whole process including application, completing the ACS workbook, producing the required procedures, conducting gap analysis and internal audits, and co-hosting the ACS Certification Body audit with you.
Frequently Asked Questions from our Customers
Yes we can, we can assist you with any of the accreditation featured on our website. We have a 100% record of securing any of the accreditation in the first audit for all our customers for the last 13 years.
More to the point, I ask clients how quickly can you start. We can have a consultant working on your accreditation within the hour if you are ready. The only things that take time are the audit dates, these are issued to the client by the certification body so it is out of our control.
This depends on how much the client has in place already. The more they have, the easier it becomes to work on their accreditation. The gap analysis that we carry out is free of charge and afterwards will give you an exact fixed price.
The fixed price will include the following –
- Carry out all the work ( creating documents & processes tailored to your company )
- Attend the audit ( as your expert consultant ) or make the desktop submission.
- Make any corrections that the auditor may highlight to ensure that you obtain your accreditation the first audit.
Initially, we need to talk to you to carry out the free gap analysis. Afterwards, we would require you to forward all the relevant documents. After that, we can complete the work with the minimum of your input, leaving you to concentrate on doing what you do best for the company.
Yes! Let us Manage your Accreditations with Ongoing Support and Maintenance. With us managing your accreditations, your team can then focus on business growth and development. This gives you peace of mind knowing your compliance is being routinely managed by professionals. Ongoing support and maintenance avoids panic in your business when suddenly faced with an audit, knowing at all times you are well prepared.
Achieve Accreditation and Compliance with JVR
JVR Consultancy was formed in the year 2008 and their head office is based in Windsor and Maidenhead. We noticed that there was a gap in the market, for companies who work in the construction, rail, utilities, oil and gas sector who were not fully supported in the way that they could be when it came to industry compliance and certification. That is why our highly experienced team of compliance consultants can serve these sectors by providing over 135 years of combined experience with all compliance needs. In short, you won’t find anyone else who cares as much, or who tries as hard as we do.
Speak with one of our experienced consultants. At JVR, we know that time is precious, and you want the answers to your questions quickly, especially during an audit!. Once we speak with you for the first time over the phone, we need around 10 minutes to fully evaluate which accreditation you need support with and a brief introduction into you and your company.
Managing Director at JVR Consultancy, Steven Sandhu, is passionate and committed to supporting his clients within their chosen Compliance accreditation. With over 15 years of experience across multiple compliance industries, Steven prides himself on delivering 100% accreditation success for his clients, mixed with a passion for providing excellence by understanding the goals and the needs of his clients’ businesses. All this, combined with his strong breadth of skills and knowledge by routinely researching industry requirements changes and introducing new regulated requirements
Our consultants have an extensive level of experience in developing solutions and offering guidance for our clients and their businesses. We offer a free GAP analysis, which will help to assess the difference between your business performance and your goals. It’s a fantastic way for you to find out if your business needs are met, and if they aren’t, it gives you the insight and confidence you need to deliver improvement before an audit. Learning more about what is Gap Analysis and how will the report benefit you.
With a success rate of 100% and a team who will go above and beyond to make sure that your expectations are met, you know that you can trust in us to provide you with the knowledge, resources and expertise you need to make a difference. Contact us today to find out more.
To identify the objectives and benefits that are needed to achieve your desired level of compliance, we offer a FREE, no-obligation Gap Analysis. Our analysis will assess your current systems and documentation. Just start your journey by filling in the form below, and one of our specialists will contact you (typically within one working day) to make arrangements.
26 national support locations throughout the UK. See Office Locations.
Fixed Fee Payments
There are no hidden charges, and what you see is what you pay.
Free Gap Analysis
Assess the difference between your business performance & your goals.
Supporting businesses with upcoming compliance audits. FAST TRACK priority support also available.
JVR offer Ongoing Support & Maintenance for peace of mind.
Our customer reviews are a testament to our work & the results we achieve.
Vast experience in developing compliant integrated management systems
We write procedures, policies & associated documentation.
Our services are tailored to meet individual company requirements.
Get FAST TRACK Audit Support with JVR Consultancy Today. Click here to find out more.
Free Remote Gap Analysis
Book a Free Remote Gap Analysis during Covid-19 for your business. To learn more, why not read our What is Gap Analysis blog article and understand how a Gap report would benefit your company.
More reasons to choose JVR Consultancy for Compliance & Risk Management